While COVID-19 is still very much part of our daily lives and affecting millions of people around the world, it’s vital that we do what we can to stay safe, hygienic and clean. Many of us are still under furlough, but as for children and teachers they’re back in school working double as hard.
Children are more likely to pass on germs and catch colds than anyone else, the only difference is they experience very mild symptoms compared to adults. Sometimes a child might not experience any symptoms at all, making them completely unaware of contaminating other people and objects.
This combined with the added issue of school classrooms being small and confined with around 30 children can make schools a breading ground for germs, viruses and bacteria. Did you know that one sneeze or cough can send over 100,000 germs into the air at speeds of 100mph? And that a child can catch up to 12 colds a year compared to an adult who will get 2-4 colds a year? A 2015 study observed 26 medical students in Australia to see how many times they touched their faces, it shown they touched their faces 23 times an hour. Can you imagine how many times a child does unwearyingly knowing or caring of bacteria and germs?
We need to educate and help our children to stay clean and hygienic and help to protect the health of the teachers and school staff. For adults and elders this virus can be deadly, we understand now how important it is to wash our hands regularly, santise our homes and work places and wear appropriate PPE.
If we can teach our children the following basic hygiene habits, they can help to prevent the spread of COVID and other germs and viruses:
- Wash hands for at least 30 seconds with water and soap! (as much as possible, after the toilet, before food, after playing etc)
- Help them to train not to touch their faces
- Use tissues to catch coughs and sneezes
- Bath and shower regular – use face cloths to wash face
- Use hand santisers
- Wear face masks
As a school you can help to hygienically educate them by:
- Educating pupils using posters in bathrooms to demonstrate and remind them of hand washing.
- Placing hand santisers around the school for them to use.
- Encourage them to wash hands before they go to the bathroom and for breaks.
- Play video demonstrations on hand washing and the dangers of germs
- Try to get them to stop touching their faces and other pupils
- Ask them not to borrow or lend stationary equipment and water bottles to one another
- Not to share food or snacks
Sadly, all of this still will not fully combat the spread of the virus and germs, so more importantly you should look to hire a school cleaning company that can carry out deep cleans for the entire premises every day. They will use specialist industrial equipment for the job to santise every touch point in the school. If you’re looking for a school cleaning contract or would like to recommend one to your child’s school take a look at Ideal FM Cleaning in Warrington who are highly regarded and reputable cleaning company who have been working with schools across Warrington and the North West for many years. They’ve helped many schools to stay safe and hygienic throughout the Pandemic with their high standards of cleaning.